Funds donated will contribute to the We Are Mansfield: Uniting People Landmark to be installed at Geyer Commons.
The Mansfield Historical Society is working to erect a statue and gazebo at the corner of North Walnut Creek Drive and East Broad Street to honor the history of the site, which was also home to the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church and served for more than 150 years as a school property, beginning with the Mansfield Male and Female College, Mansfield Academy and as the first home of the Mansfield ISD. The Mansfield ISD Administration building, located on the site, was constructed in 1924 to house grades 1-11. The Rock Gym, built in 1940 by the Works Projects Administration (WPA), was the first gymnasium in Mansfield. Both historic landmarks still stand today.
This landmark will recognize the evolution of the disparity and inequality that once existed in Mansfield, and more importantly recognize how far we’ve come. It was the location of the first attempt to desegregate Mansfield schools on August 30, 1956 which turned into a dark day in our community, gaining worldwide attention and appearing as news headlines as far away as Paris, France.
The new landmark will include a bronze statue of children, a gazebo and a walkway of bricks. Become part of the history of Mansfield by purchasing a brick with your name, family name, business, church or charity.